[MlMt] Airmail and losing archived messages in Gmail

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Apr 9 18:25:30 EDT 2018

On 9 Apr 2018, at 14:29 (-0400), Kee Hinckley wrote:

> I use AirMail on my phone, which is a decent although not perfect
> client. My main issues are:
>
> 1. Reply-To copies the previous to to the reply, instead of just
> replying to the sender. (Not a big deal).
> 2. Filing/Deleting/Archiving a thread acts on *everything* in the
> thread, including the messages in my Sent folder. (That's just wrong.)
> 3. Archiving on GMail simply removes the tags and leaves the message
> in "All Mail".
>
> That last one took me a while to figure out. I have an AirMail action
> that copies the message to OmniFocus and then archives it. (The
> ability to create custom actions is one of the reasons I like
> AirMail). I would do that, and then go to my Mac. OmniFocus would have
> a link to the message (airmail:, but I have a script to change it to a
> message: link), and I'd launch it…and nothing. The message had
> disappeared from MailMate.
>
> I assume there's no good way to make messages just available in All
> Messages visible in MailMate?

Never assume MM can't do something... If you edit the subscriptions for
a GMail account you have the option of subscribing to mailboxes under
the '[GMail]' subtree, including "All Mail' and the other GMail
defaults. It appears from a quick peek at my GMail account that Benny
has worked out a de-duplication scheme to make sure 'All Mail' only
shows messages not otherwise tagged. Nice.

> So while I work on the AirMail folks to add an option to make Archive
> move things to an Archive folder (which is what they do with Exchange,
> and presumably with normal IMAP),

"Normal IMAP" isn't a thing. :) There's just a cluster of largely
similar implementations including Dovecot & Cyrus and a diffuse flock of
weird other things like GMail and Exchange that are only vaguely related
to IMAP.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org