[MlMt] MailMate tagging, Dovecot, and Thunderbird transition

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Sep 13 16:08:07 EDT 2017

On 13 Sep 2017, at 14:24, Robert Goldman wrote:

> I haven't been able to figure out from the webs whether Dovecot is a
> suitable IMAP server for MailMate.

Yes.

> In particular, will it support the way MailMate does tagging?

Yes. MM "tags" are just display names for what the IMAP specs call
"keywords" or "flags." Both MM and Dovecot support arbitrary
user-defined keywords.

> And, if so, is there anything special I need to do in the dovecot
> configuration?

No. I have run Dovecot as my primary IMAP server for longer than MM has
existed, and I do not recall ever needing to do anything special to
adapt one to the other.

> This dovecot wiki page seems to suggest that it will not support
> MailMate tags.

Which page is that?

> One more follow-up question: I'm trying to move from Thunderbird to
> MailMate.  Is there any way to salvage my Thunderbird tags so that I
> can see them in MailMate?

If I recall correctly, TBird tags are also just IMAP keywords/flags, so
it does not matter what IMAP client you use: they're stored on the
server. If you use Dovecot with Maildir+ storage, the

You will need to enter each one manually in the MM Tags prefs pane for
it to show up in the MM Tags field.