[MlMt] send PDF-files from DevonThink

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Sep 6 17:41:22 EDT 2017

On 30 Aug 2017, at 9:39, Erik Arnold wrote:

> Hello MailMate wizards,
>
> I often want to send PDF-files from DevonThink Pro Office to my mail
> client, with the build in command from DevonThink (right click —>
> send eMail). With mail.app this works well. With MailMate it exports
> the text of the PDF but not the PDF itself, how can I change this
> behaviour?
>
> Thank you for your answer in advance.

Well, I can't be 100% sure of this, but I believe that has to  be a
question for the DevonThink developers. If you just drag & drop a PDF
from the Finder onto the MailMate app icon in the Dock, it opens a
composer window for a new message with the PDF as an attachment. If you
drop a PDF on an open MM composer window, it gets attached to the
message being composed. If you open a Terminal window and enter a
command like "open -a MailMate somerandom.pdf" you get a composer window
for a new message with the PDF as an attachment. If you right-click a
PDF in the Finder, choose Open With->Other... and navigate to MM and
choose it, same thing. You can do the same thing via AppleEvents from
any other program or in any OSAScript-capable scripting language. My
point: tell MailMate to open a PDF by any standard mechanism and it will
do so by making it an attachment to a message. MM does not know how to
render a PDF into a reasonable plain-text representation, although it
can inline PDFs visually by using the system's facilities for doing so.

Therefore, it must be DevonThink Pro Office which is doing something
extra-smart (or at least unusual...) to send only text to MailMate,
instead of just telling it to open the PDF.