[MlMt] Advice for new user

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Mon Oct 23 11:58:01 EDT 2017

On 23 Oct 2017, at 10:42, John Cooper wrote:

> I had been using MailMate for well over a year before I realized that
> smart folders were the key to many of the advantages MailMate offers.
> They are enormously powerful. I even have smart folders that do
> nothing but point to IMAP folders, so that I almost never have to go
> into the **Sources** mailboxes at all.
>
> So why do I still have IMAP folders other than the standard folders?
> Why not keep all my messages in **INBOX, Archive,** and **Sent?**
> Because sometimes I need to find messages quickly on my phone or on a
> Web-based client when I'm away from my own computer. In those
> situations, it's very helpful to have messages to this list separated
> into a "MailMate" folder so they don't clutter other important views.
> It's also very helpful to have job-related messages in a "Career"
> folder, to have tickets for upcoming performances in a "Tickets"
> folder, and to keep track of expected physical deliveries and
> respondent actions in a "Waiting" folder. This lets me quickly access
> (or avoid) particular categories when I'm unable to use MailMate.

Thank you: that's my issue, also.  I believe what might be the right
thing would be to use smart folders and also be able to archive
materials to separate IMAP folders (and eventually unsubscribe to them).

Is this a reasonable workflow?

1. Create tags corresponding to projects/topics, for example "project1"
2. Have a smart folder that incorporates all the messages with such a
tag (e.g., a "project1" smart folder) *and* all messages in the project1
IMAP folder, thus displaying all relevant messages.
3. Periodically archive all the messages in the smart folder into the
corresponding IMAP folder.

Thanks,