[MlMt] A couple of newbie issues

Wed Oct 18 12:33:16 EDT 2017

On 17 Oct 2017, at 13:40, iep at circa.dk wrote:

> Replying: Even though I have 'only include selected text' checked in
> the preferences MM quotes the
> whole message I'm replying to if nothing is selected. How do I make
> this stop? If nothing is
> selected I don't want anything quoted at all. Ever.

I thought I once added a hidden preference for this, but I don't seem to
be able to locate it. In other words, it's not (currently) optional. You
can of course request it if you like :)

Personally, I prefer “in-between” replies like this, but one of the
most frequent requests is how to default to top-posting with everything
quoted. That's just the world of today (as you also described yourself).

(The main reason that I would not prefer a blank email when nothing is
selected is that selecting text involves using the mouse/trackpad. I
prefer being able to reply using a keyboard shortcut and then cut text
manually.)

> On a related note, when replying to a message I prefer to simply use
> the correspondent's first name
> as the salutation/introduction. Nothing else. I've found the hidden
> 'MmReplyWroteString' setting
> but how do I configure MM to only use the first name of the
> correspondent? I find using the whole
> name a bit overly formal. If that's not possible how do I disable the
> reply string altogether?

I guess you could provide an empty string to `MmReplyWroteString`, but I
think that would still leave some inserted whitespace (I could probably
prevent that when given the empty string though).

The default is:

	On %e %b %Y, at %k:%M, ${from.name:${from.address}} wrote:

This could be changed to:

	On %e %b %Y, at %k:%M, ${from.name.first:${from.address}} wrote:

But the `.first` specifier is not very reliable. It's simply impossible
to reliably determine the first name of a given name string. The
variations used are endless (as for most email headers) and some times
there are weird mixes of titles and names. You can try it to see if it
works well enough for you.

To be specific you set it like this:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmReplyWroteString -string 'On %e %b
%Y, at %k:%M, ${from.name.first:${from.address}} wrote:'

Then relaunch MailMate.