[MlMt] A couple of newbie issues

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Tue Oct 17 07:55:14 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-17 13:40:14 (+0200), iep at circa.dk wrote:
> Saving attachments: I often get messages containing several
> attachments. However, I very rarely need to save all the attachments
> and I almost never want to save them in the same place. So I really
> need to be able to choose which attachments from a message are to be
> saved and be presented with a dialog so I can choose where to save
> them. Is this possible?

If you right-click the 'save' button next to an attachment and select
'save foo...', you get the usual macOS chooser.  I use this all the
time. :)

> Replying: Even though I have 'only include selected text' checked in
> the preferences MM quotes the whole message I'm replying to if nothing
> is selected. How do I make this stop? If nothing is selected I don't
> want anything quoted at all. Ever.

Workaround: try selecting some whitespace or something?

> If I may be allowed a little rant here: I've been fighting (admittedly
> a losing battle) this behaviour in email apps since the early 1990s.
> An email app should NEVER by default quote full messages when
> replying. Nor should it be necessary. For one thing the person you are
> replying to knows what they wrote, or should do.

I'm afraid that's probably a minority opinion, even on this mailing
list...  People who write a lot of email every day, find few things as
infuriating as replies without any context!  Especially where mailing
lists are concerned.

MailMate's option to select what you want to reply to is very handy but
I usually just reply to the whole message and delete the context I don't
need.

But it takes all sorts. :)

Philip

--