[MlMt] A couple of newbie issues

iep at circa.dk iep at circa.dk
Tue Oct 17 07:40:14 EDT 2017

Hi,

I'm a newbie to MM and for the most part like what I see so far. Enough to have bought a license at
least. I have, however,  hit upon a couple of annoyances that I'm finding it hard to work around.
No doubt mostly because I've only been using it a few days and obviously haven't discovered all its
secrets yet. Anyway ...

Saving attachments: I often get messages containing several attachments. However, I very rarely
need to save all the attachments and I almost never want to save them in the same place. So I
really need to be able to choose which attachments from a message are to be saved and be presented
with a dialog so I can choose where to save them. Is this possible?

Replying: Even though I have 'only include selected text' checked in the preferences MM quotes the
whole message I'm replying to if nothing is selected. How do I make this stop? If nothing is
selected I don't want anything quoted at all. Ever.

If I may be allowed a little rant here: I've been fighting (admittedly a losing battle) this
behaviour in email apps since the early 1990s. An email app should NEVER by default quote full
messages when replying. Nor should it be necessary. For one thing the person you are replying to
knows what they wrote, or should do. It's the email app's responsibility (using threading, ui
layout etc.) to present the messages in such a way that it is clear who wrote what to whom. It's
only because of broken email implementations from primarily Microsoft and more recently Gmail
et.al. that it has become customary to do this. More importantly it's a massive security risk
especially when many apps now hide the quoted text! I can't count the number of times I've been
sent messages containing long threads with all sorts of sensitive information simply because the
correspondent wasn't aware they were sending it due to hidden quoting. I really hope it's possible
to disable this 'feature'.

On a related note, when replying to a message I prefer to simply use the correspondent's first name
as the salutation/introduction. Nothing else. I've found the hidden 'MmReplyWroteString' setting
but how do I configure MM to only use the first name of the correspondent? I find using the whole
name a bit overly formal. If that's not possible how do I disable the reply string altogether?

I have a few other issues but I think that's enough for now ... ;-)

Cheers
Ian