[MlMt] RSVP/respond to ical/.ics calendar invite?

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Tue Oct 17 05:24:13 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-14 01:26:55 (+0200), Jonas Kemper wrote:
> I'm trying to wrap my head around how RSVPing to calendar invites
> works. I appreciate how easy this is for example in gmail/outlook.
>
> Now, my situation might be a little bit specific. I have no offline
> calendar configured whatsoever. This means, that I don't care that the
> calendar event sent is important in a calendar. I just want to RSVP to
> the invite. As far as I have understood the standard at this point,
> this should basically just be another email reply with another .ics
> file attached. I might be wrong about this though.
>
> Has anybody dealt with this before? My ideal scenario would be control
> elements to respond with "yes/no/maybe" in Mailmate whenever a meeting
> invite comes in.

Once upon a time, I had a Perl script I used as a Mutt hook that did
exactly this (well - it always said "yes").  Unfortunately, I can't seem
to find it now.  I'll look at old backups, but I've been using a
calendar for a while now.

As far as I remember, it wasn't all that difficult: read in the original
ics file and send it back with your name filled in, as Sam wrote.  I
seem to recall that Microsoft Exchange was quite picky about the MIME
type of the attachment but other than that, it was straightforward.

I'll see if I can find my script somewhere.  It should not be too
difficult to turn it into a MailMate bundle.  Might be quicker to just
write a new script.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps