[MlMt] RSVP/respond to ical/.ics calendar invite?

Sam Hathaway list.mailmate at munkynet.org
Mon Oct 16 11:08:25 EDT 2017

Jonas,

Thanks for your question. I had been meaning to research this for a
while and hadn’t gotten around to it until now.

Like most things related to iCalendar and CalDAV, it’s super hard to
find information on event replies. The short story is that replies are
done by sending an iCalendar file back to the organizer with
METHOD:REPLY and certain fields filled out.

The format of reply iCalendar files is defined by the iCalendar
Transport-Independent Interoperability Protocol (iTIP), [RFC
5546](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5546). See section
[3.2.3](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5546#section-3.2.3) for details
and [4.2](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5546#section-4.2) for an
example.

The iCalendar reply can be sent as an email attachment or via Scheduling
Extensions to CalDAV, [RFC 6638](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6638). I
haven’t grok’d that standard, but see [Appendix
B](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6638#appendix-B) for an example that
mostly makes sense.

Hope this helps!
-sam