[MlMt] Slow since HIgh Sierra upgrade?

Mon Nov 13 09:38:29 EST 2017

On 13 Nov 2017, at 10:09, Tobias Kirchhofer wrote:

> I've done a new clean installation with High Sierra and MailMate. I
> took advantage of the chance :)
>
> [...]
>
> Back to MailMate Problem persist.
>
> The symptons are:
>
> - Good performance in Mailmate
> - Fast rendering Messages in Mailbox when clicking around or switching
> Messages with the arrow keys
> - Suddenly after a couple of hours the spinning wheel of death appears
> - MailMate hangs
>
> macOS continues to work but *some* apps hangs after MailMate hangs and
> show the spinning wheel. These apps are for example: Safari, Terminal,
> iTerm2. Activity Monitor.app starts but do not show content. I can
> kill them but the don’t start anymore. Only reboot helps.
>
> Is’nt this strange?

Yes, and it makes it hard to debug since you cannot make a sample of the
process when this happens.

Note that you can kill apps (including MailMate) using ⌥⌘+escape. It
shows a list of open applications in which you can select and kill
MailMate.

> MBP 2017
> 16G RAM
> High Sierra

This is the same as I have (2015).

> Could it be that MailMate has a memory leak in High Sierra which
> affects only some Apple Apps?

That's a possibility, but it would have to be a pretty extreme memory
leak. I do have 1 user (maybe 2) reporting an increase in memory usage
over time, but nothing leading to what you describe.

You can try to keep the Activity Monitor open, but note that MailMate
does use a lot of memory and it does increase over time (due to lazy

If your settings is somehow involved then it is most likely to be one of
your smart mailboxes. You can send me the `Mailboxes.plist` file and I
can look for anything out of the ordinary.