[MlMt] Slow since HIgh Sierra upgrade?

Tobias Kirchhofer tobias at kirchhofer.net
Mon Nov 13 04:09:20 EST 2017

Am 10.11.17 um 16:04 schrieb Benny Kjær Nielsen:
> On 9 Nov 2017, at 21:48, Tobias Kirchhofer wrote:
>
>     since three days i upgraded to High Sierra and experience since
> then
>     strange behaviour of MailMate. From time to time the spinning
> wheel
>     appears and MailMate remains persistent unresponsive. Strange
> thing:
>     if MailMate is like this no other application starts anymore -
> until
>     reboot.
>
>     I know sounds weird and is maybe not related to MailMate. But
> perhaps...
>
>     Any ideas?
>
> It certainly does not sound good. If your message store is not very
> large then maybe it would be worth a shot to force MailMate to start
> over (refetch and index emails). You can do this by deleting anything
> but the |.plist| files in this folder:
>
> |~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/ |
>
> Let me know if that does not help.
>
> Could the problem be related to running low on disk space?
>
> --
> Benny

Hi Benny,

I've done a new clean installation with High Sierra and MailMate. I took
advantage of the chance :)

I only reused Sources.plist, Identities.plist, Submission.plist,
Signatures.plist, Tags.plist. Mailboxes.plist is from  scratch.
Refetched all E-Mails (~460.000). Disk has plenty of space.

Result was no change.

Then I shut off MailMate and switched to Thunderbird for around two
days. Everything worked fine.

Back to MailMate Problem persist.

The symptons are:

- Good performance in Mailmate
- Fast rendering Messages in Mailbox when clicking around or switching
Messages with the arrow keys
- Suddenly after a couple of hours the spinning wheel of death appears
- MailMate hangs

macOS continues to work but *some* apps hangs after MailMate hangs and
show the spinning wheel. These apps are for example: Safari, Terminal,
iTerm2. Activity Monitor.app starts but do not show content. I can kill
them but the don’t start anymore. Only reboot helps.

Is’nt this strange?

MBP 2017
16G RAM
High Sierra

Could it be that MailMate has a memory leak in High Sierra which affects
only some Apple Apps?

Courious,

Tobias

--