[MlMt] Proposal: conditional image loading by URL filtering

Sam Hathaway list.mailmate at munkynet.org
Mon Nov 6 12:13:53 EST 2017

On 6 Nov 2017, at 5:13, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> Thanks for the detailed idea.

Thanks for considering it!

> I'm thinking it might be a performance issue to call a script for
> every image (there can be a lot of them in a single email).

I was thinking you’d invoke the script once for each email, at display
time. Does that change things for you? The process on your side would
look something like:

```
on display_html_email:
	proc = run(uri_approver)
	for image in remote_images:
		proc.write(image)
		result = proc.read()
		if result is 'allow':
			display(image)
	proc.end()
```

> It might be nice with a more flexible solution, but if all you want is
> a regular expression to allow certain images then I already
> implemented `MmAllowedImageURLRegexp`. For example:
>
> 	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmAllowedImageURLRegexp -string
> "https://(freron\.com|example\.com)/.*"
>
> Hmm, it appears I've “forgotten” to document this. Maybe because I
> didn't really finish this feature. I would have liked to also handle a
> `MmDisallowedImageURLRegexp`. Let me know if you need that.

Hey, that’s great. It means I’ll have to deal with a long, ugly
regular expression, but I can tolerate that I think. I don’t think I
need a deny pattern, since deny is MailMate’s default.

Thanks a lot!
-sam