[MlMt] Proposal: conditional image loading by URL filtering

Mon Nov 6 05:13:44 EST 2017

On 4 Nov 2017, at 17:10, Sam Hathaway wrote:

> I’ve been thinking about whether there’d be an easy way for you to
> add conditional domain-based image loading, without doing a bunch of
> UI work for a feature that (admittedly) has limited appeal.

Thanks for the detailed idea.

> 2. If this is set, MailMate would run this program when displaying an
> HTML email. It would send the program each image URL on stdin, and
> expect to get back the strings `allow` or `deny`.

I'm thinking it might be a performance issue to call a script for every
image (there can be a lot of them in a single email).

> Everyone else could ignore this feature.
>
> What do you think?

It might be nice with a more flexible solution, but if all you want is a
regular expression to allow certain images then I already implemented
`MmAllowedImageURLRegexp`. For example:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmAllowedImageURLRegexp -string
"https://(freron\.com|example\.com)/.*"

Hmm, it appears I've “forgotten” to document this. Maybe because I
didn't really finish this feature. I would have liked to also handle a
`MmDisallowedImageURLRegexp`. Let me know if you need that.