[MlMt] iCloud accounts require an app specific password starting June 15th

Scott A. McIntyre mailmate at howyagoin.net
Tue May 16 15:49:27 EDT 2017

Hi,

On 17 May 2017, at 0531, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> I will note that I turned on 2FA long ago, and I've had zero trouble
> with MailMate and its app-specific password.  You set it up once;
> after that, it just works.

Echoing Steve here.

I use several platforms which make use of per-app passwords, and
MailMate with Apple's 2FA and per-app password support has been easy;
FastMail have it as well.

I would recommend a good password manager though.  I use 1Password,
which helps me organise this quite nicely.  Each platform with
application specific passwords is a separate entity in my data, and I
make a new "Password" item within that entity for each of the
Applications.

MailMate has worked fine with this setup.  Only took a few minutes to
set up with 1P.

Absolutely worth it given the importance of email, and how compromising
an email credential is often a gateway to the compromise of
$everything_else.

Scott