[MlMt] iCloud accounts require an app specific password starting June 15th

Rob Willett rob.mailmate at robertwillett.com
Tue May 16 15:44:56 EDT 2017

I don’t normally post in this group as I tend to listen.

A little word of caution for using 2FA if you are an Apple Developer. We
found that a number of low level Apple features that have been automated
stop working if 2FA is turned on. For us we found that auto generation
and management of Apple Push Certificates through third party vendors
stopped working. I will agree that this is a little esoteric and
probably out of scope for 99.9% of the readers here, but it took us (and
PushWoosh) some hours to track down this issue and resolve it by turning
off 2FA. if anybody has ever had to manually issue certificates for
Apple Push Notifications, all the associate ‘paperwork’ and manage
them through a third party supplier, you will know what an utter
nightmare it can be. Google is simple, Apple is horrible (IMHO), We
happily turned off 2FA to avoid using the nightmare that is Apple
certificate management. Indeed we’d happily jump to Googles systems if
we could dump Apples notification servers :)

I have heard of other developers having similar types of issues with 2FA
as we do things at a lower level and the tools can be a little, errr,
rustic in nature. For 99% of users they don’t have a problem, though
after saying that my other half struggles to understand it and use it
for her Mac stuff. I can see why Apple do it.

I’ll go back to lurking now.

Rob