[MlMt] message keep reappearing in junk

Robert Brenstein mailmate at learning-insights.eu
Sun May 14 17:18:13 EDT 2017

Ok. I have been checking past few days and confirmed that indeed the
problem is caused by having MM with SpamSieve on 2 computers. Moving
certain messages out of the junk on one computer makes them reappear
there if they are classified as junk on another computer later on. The
junk flag is not transferred, that is messages reappear in the Junk
mailbox but there are still non-junk. The problem is that whitelisting
is way behind on the computer which I do not use regularly, which is the
implicit source of the issue. Now that I understand the cause of the
behavior, I can deal with it.

I haven’t experimented with the $NotJunk keyword yet, as suggested
below.

On 9 May 2017, at 16:19, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 9 May 2017, at 3:43, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> I have checked my Junk mailbox in more detail and found a few more
> such messages. These were individual messages not a thread. I went
> then to my other computer and moved them there out of Junk and they
> are now gone from Junk on my main computer. Somehow, moving them out
> of Junk on my main computer is not good enough. This seems to be an
> issue with only a few messages, though.

I'm thinking that the problem is somehow related to having MailMate
running on two machines. Here's something to consider:

Every time one instance of MailMate moves a message to the INBOX then
the other instance of MailMate is going to see it as a new message. This
is simply how IMAP works. If you are running SpamSieve on multiple
machines then this could be a problem. To avoid this problem then
MailMate, by default, does not apply SpamSieve to any message with the
“Not Junk” (`$NotJunk`) keyword -- *and* this keyword is applied to
anything moved out of junk.

This should make it work except for the special case where the IMAP
server does not allow/support setting the `$NotJunk` keyword. This
should be rare, but I think this might include Exchange IMAP (which has
little support for custom IMAP keywords). Is it an Exchange IMAP server?