[MlMt] MailMate workaround for the problem of multiple Gmail labels

Mon Jun 19 09:19:44 EDT 2017

On 17 Jun 2017, at 20:12, Topher Buck wrote:

> I read your [Mavericks, Gmail, Apple Mail, and MailMate]
> (https://blog.freron.com/2013/mavericks-gmail-apple-mail-and-mailmate/)
> blog post (and the related [mailing list message]
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/mailmate@lists.freron.com/msg01115.html))
> in which you wrote, “Recently, I implemented a workaround in
> MailMate for the problem of multiple labels. It is currently an
> experimental solution and you can enable it following the instructions
> in the release notes for version 1.7.” I note that you wrote that
> blog post in 2013, and so I’m wondering if/how you have changed MM
> since. In particular, is the solution/approach you describe
> (“MailMate can be told to handle specific Gmail labels as if they
> were tags”) still experimental? Or have you since incorporated it as
> a standard MM feature or deprecated it entirely? After 3.5 years, it
> seems likely that you would have done one or the other. Since
> https://manual.mailmate-app.com/account_setup makes no mention of
> this, I’m not sure what to conclude.

Very understandable. I *think* it's pretty stable now, but I'm not
getting a lot of feedback on it (which is kind of a good sign). By
default, MailMate still does not subscribe to the “[Gmail]/All Mail”
folder. My current recommendation for the best integration of Gmail
labels should probably be:

* Subscribe to “[Gmail]/All Mail”.
* Setup a tag in MailMate for each Gmail label that is used like a tag.
That is, don't do it if the label is used just like a mailbox (like
manually sorting emails into folders).

It's probably best to update to the latest test release though since I
believe I've fixed a bug which could some times lead to busy-looping
when synchronizing the All Mail mailbox: Hold down ⌥ when clicking
“Check Now” in the Software Update preferences pane.

> I can imagine that you might be heartily sick of answering such
> questions, but I would sincerely appreciate any guidance you can
> provide.

Thanks for understanding. I know I sometimes tend to complain about the
work needed to make things work well with Gmail.

And yes, I really should update the documentation on Gmail. I'll try
hard to do that soon.

> Thank you for creating and continuing to support MailMate.

Thanks for your patience.