[MlMt] \Recent flag?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Jun 5 14:55:18 EDT 2017

On 5 Jun 2017, at 11:40, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> As Benny wrote (ticket #1626):
> The Recent flag is actually quite useless. Most IMAP servers don't
> implement it correctly and with the so-called CONDSTORE extension then
> it's even worse (one could argue MailMate should handle it better in
> this case).

I think "useless" is quite an overstatement and I'm not sure Benny is
right about correct implementations. However, it is mostly useful for
simple clients and accounts that don't have multiple clients accessing
them.

> On 5 Jun 2017, at 16:54, Aaron Falk wrote:
>
>> What does the flag \Recent mean?  Looking at raw flags in my inbox, I
>> see newer messages that don’t have it set…  Can’t find anything
>> on https://manual.mailmate-app.com/.

In the context of an IMAP session, \Recent means that no other
read/write IMAP session (i.e. one initiated with SELECT) has been
notified of the existence of the message. Clients cannot change this
flag. It is useful for IMAP clients to identify "new" messages in a
mailbox that may merit special treatment (e.g. apply filtering rules)
but arguably it is pointless and misleading to expose \Recent to the
user of a complex IMAP client like MM.

See a longer answer with references here:
https://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672/tickets/1343-recent-message-flag-is-improperly-preserved#ticket-1343-3