[MlMt] Tags not stored with IMAP?

David Ledger mailmate at ivdcs.co.uk
Fri Jun 2 04:00:28 EDT 2017

On 31 May 2017, at 19:36, Jody Klymak wrote:

> The advantage of iCloud is that it is a system-supported
> synchronization solution that has a well-defined API. I also believe
> that storing keys-value pairs just defaults to local storage if iCloud
> isn’t available and/or not selected by the user, and hence is no
> different than an app that only stores preferences locally.  Its *not*
> the same solution as saving *.plist files to a program-defined
> database on an arbitrary server like Dropbox because Dropbox has no
> easy programatic way to warn a local version of the program not to
> write a preference because a copy already exists that was modified on
> another device. Conversely, iCloud has a whole API for that.

On the other hand, iCloud is there or not there at Apple’s whim. I had
everything syncing using MobileMe (or whatever it was called), then they
just removed it. I don’t use iCloud at all because I don’t want to
become reliant on it as I did before. Dropbox makes money out of their
extended services and so should continue. They could drop their free
services that so many of us use, but the bad press they would get if
they did so would impact them hard.

David