[MlMt] Updating account information made MailMate (re)download *all* email

Tue Jul 25 09:45:07 EDT 2017

On 24 Jul 2017, at 23:34, Adam Liter wrote:

> FWIW, the sluggishness seems to be triggered by talking to the
> FastMail servers. I quit MailMate and reopened in order to be able to
> compose the email that I just sent. As soon as it started sending,
> MailMate became really sluggish. As I write this email, it takes about
> two-three seconds for each keystroke to register, sometimes longer.

I think that's because MailMate is looking for emails which have
mysteriously gone away. (Deleting emails in the database is distributed
over time and therefore this can go on for a long time if a lot of
emails have disappeared from disk.)

> On 24 Jul 2017, at 17:30, Adam Liter wrote:
>
>> About a year later, I finally got around to setting up 2FA with
>> FastMail and using app specific passwords. Because of the experiences
>> that others mentioned in this thread, I ended up deleting my previous
>> FastMail IMAP account in MailMate as well as deleting the messages in
>> `~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Messages/IMAP/`.

You shouldn't have done that last part. Never let anything but MailMate
remove or add any files in the `Messages` folder. It is to be considered
to be a private database which is just saved in a very readable
format/hierarchy.

>> I'm probably going to reinstall MailMate and see if starting fresh
>> helps, as mentioned in this thread.

That's unfortunately also the only way to fix it now. You can keep the
`.plist` files to make it easier (in `~/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/`).

>> However, I wanted mention this in case there's anything I could do to
>> help debug this, Benny, while I'm still experiencing the problem.

Thanks!