[MlMt] Updating account information made MailMate (re)download *all* email

Adam Liter io at adamliter.org
Mon Jul 24 17:30:42 EDT 2017

Hi,

About a year later, I finally got around to setting up 2FA with FastMail
and using app specific passwords. Because of the experiences that others
mentioned in this thread, I ended up deleting my previous FastMail IMAP
account in MailMate as well as deleting the messages in
`~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Messages/IMAP/`. I then added a
new IMAP account to MailMate with the new FastMail servers and
app-specific password.

Nonetheless, I'm still experiencing the sluggishness that Sherif
mentioned:

> And now MailMate is extremely sluggish in starting up, and will often
> freeze on startup. The duplicate message happened as it struggled with
> this cycle.

I have MailMate running on two Macs, and it is happening on both
computers. If I quit MailMate and start it again, everything behaves
fine for a little bit of time, but then MailMate becomes *really*
sluggish with every action (typing text in the composer, opening emails,
rendering the previews of emails, etc.). It's making MailMate completely
unusable.

I'm probably going to reinstall MailMate and see if starting fresh
helps, as mentioned in this thread. However, I wanted mention this in
case there's anything I could do to help debug this, Benny, while I'm
still experiencing the problem.

-Adam