[MlMt] Marking messages as read on open; Mailing Lists smart folder

Patrick Pritchard outside at d26.net
Tue Jul 11 12:07:41 EDT 2017

On 3 Jul 2017, at 21:30, Bill Cole wrote:
> Another approach I use for my most active discussion lists is that I
> sort them on arrival into their own IMAP (not "Smart") mailboxes that
> are all inside a "Lists" folder, so that I can then have a "Smart"
> mailbox that contains the past fortnight of messages from all
> mailboxes underneath "Lists" split into submailboxes by mailbox name.
> This is also helpful for mailing lists that don't use List-Id headers,
> since the rules sorting messages on arrival can target whatever
> arbitrary header fingerprints work for a particular list.

In Mail.app I had similar rule setups to redirect.  I may end up
forgoing the smart mailbox for mailing lists altogether, and instead
file them into their own folders…  The _Unread_ smart folder is
_fantastic_ in that it aggregates by which folder things are unread
_in_, so I can quickly find a folder for a mailing list post-filing.

Cheers,
-pmp