[MlMt] Marking messages as read on open; Mailing Lists smart folder

Patrick Pritchard outside at d26.net
Tue Jul 11 12:04:59 EDT 2017

On 30 Jun 2017, at 21:42, Sherif Soliman wrote:
> Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome!

On 30 Jun 2017, at 21:42, Sherif Soliman wrote:
> If you hide the Message Preview in the Inbox window, then the message
> won't be marked as read until you double click to open it in a new
> window. You can hide the Message Preview in: View > Layout > Hide
> Preview.

Hmm, great suggestion, but not for my workflow. :(  I often have the
preview window at 1/3 of the screen to peek/quickly scan emails (by
skimming the top of the email body), and then make a call to read it, or
I guess Outlook and Lotus Notes have spoiled me as that is default
behaviour.. I can’t see to find a way to do this in MlMt so I’ve got
to do the CMD-SHIFT-U when done.  A bit of a hassle.

(Oddly enough, I’ve played with _many_ email programs of late, and
this “feature” is lacking in practically all of them.  All email
programs seem to have a “Mark read after XX seconds” feature, but
not a “Mark read on opening in separate window” feature.  Even
Mail.app needs a 3rd party plug-in. :( )

Is there a way for someone to create a “bundle” to add this
functionality?  Is there a bundle API?

Thanks,
-pmp