[MlMt] Should I remove gmail labels completely ?

Tue Jul 4 07:28:09 EDT 2017

On 2 Jul 2017, at 19:32, Topher Buck wrote:

> But—unless I’m really missing something—there is no way to
> create mailboxes in MM other than smart mailboxes), so there’s no
> way to move a message from my inbox to another mailbox, is there?
> *Unless* I include the mailboxes under SOURCES, but I thought the idea
> was not to use those as part of one’s typical workflow.

No, you can use “SOURCES” if you like. Moving messages can be done
using drag'n'drop or the “Move to Mailbox” window (⌥⌘T).

> The Organize section of the MM manual
> [https://manual.mailmate-app.com/organize] states, “MailMate
> supports 3 kinds of mailboxes…”, but it then describes only two:
> [1] Standard Mailboxes (Inbox, Drafts, Sent Messages, Junk, and
> Deleted Messages) and [2] Smart Mailboxes. What’s the third kind?
> Custom, but not smart, seems like the obvious option; is that just
> wishful thinking on my part?

That's ordinary IMAP mailboxes. For a Gmail account then that's the same
thing as a label. This also means that the “Mailbox ▸ New IMAP
Mailbox” is also how you create Gmail labels in MailMate. I think this
might be your “missing piece” to understand how this works.

When mapping a tag in MailMate to a Gmail label then MailMate ignores
the corresponding Gmail IMAP mailbox. Instead, it shows a tag for any
messages located in this mailbox (which requires the message to also be
present in another mailbox).

> Benny very kindly responded to my recent question about Gmail labels
> and MM tags, so, assuming I understand correctly, I know that I should
> not map MM tags to Gmail labels but should use MM mailboxes for Gmail
> labels (and use tags within MM), and that makes sense to me, but only
> if I can create MM mailboxes and map them to my existing Gmail
> labels/folders.

Any existing Gmail mailboxes should already be in MailMate under SOURCES
within the Gmail account. New Gmail labels can be created as I described
above: “Mailbox ▸ New IMAP Mailbox”. These should show up in the
Gmail web interface.

> I tried quitting MM, editing the Mailboxes.plist file to add an entry
> for a new mailbox, and then restarting MM, ...

Never do that. I *think* it's just going to be ignored/removed.

> , but that didn’t have any obvious effect other than reordering the
> mailboxes in the left panel in MM. Then I found this entry in the MM
> lists archive:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/mailmate@lists.freron.com/msg03660.html
> and tried copying and renaming the “Examples” mailbox. That
> worked, but I don’t know how to map it to a Gmail label, nor can I
> even move existing messages from my Inbox to the new mailbox, so
> it’s not clear that I have actually accomplished anything.

This is related to smart mailboxes in the MAILBOXES part of mailbox
list. This is not where Gmail mailboxes are found.

> Is the only option in MM to use tags to organize messages and move
> everything I want to save to the Archive folder?

No.

> I could probably live with that, but I would be awfully nice not to
> abandon all my Gmail labels, and I have not gotten the clear sense
> that this is necessary (put another way, I still have the impression,
> based on what I have heard from Benny and read in the archive, that it
> *is* possible to create and use MM mailboxes corresponding to Gmail
> labels).
>
> Can anyone enlighten me?

You certainly should not abandon your current mailbox structure. It
should work fine in MailMate as long as you can live with having them
under SOURCES.