[MlMt] Trash or Deleted Messages?

Mon Jan 23 06:15:03 EST 2017

On 20 Jan 2017, at 21:01, Roger Bohn wrote:

> In my version of MailMate, “Trash” is not an option. There are 5
> mailbox types, one of which is “Deleted Messages.”
>   Similarly, I have a mailbox called “Deleted Messages” right
> below Junk. I do not have a mailbox called “Trash”.
>    I’m using an Exchange Server. Am I supposed to change everything
> to “Trash?”

Each IMAP account can have 1 mailbox assigned to be used for trash
(deleted messages). This is done using “Mailbox ▸ Mailbox Type”.
The universal mailbox always snamed “Deleted Messages” under
MAILBOXES in the mailbox unifies the messages of all mailboxes assigned
to be used for trash in each account.

If you have multiple mailboxes used as trash in an account then you need
to identify the primary one. This is most often the one used by webmail
access if that exists. If not then you might be free to choose any
mailbox. Then delete any other mailboxes used for trash (maybe move the
emails to the primary one first if you like).

Let me know if that was not clear.

> While on the subject of Trash, how do I configure Deleted Messages to
> automatically flush messages after, say, 10 days? Right now I have to
> do a manual select+flush when I remember. I have experimented with my
> folder, but not found a solution.

The “Deleted Messages” mailbox actually has an “Empty...” menu
item to make this easier (that'll flush all trash-assigned mailboxes of
all accounts). There's no built-in way to flush it automatically and I
don't think setting up a smart mailbox for it works, because there's
currently no “Delete Permanently” rule action.

(I've been hesitating making any features which involves deleting
anything automatically, because it also opens up the possibility of bugs
with serious consequences, but it might soon be time to at least add the
rule action needed for a smart mailbox.)

Note that some IMAP servers might actually do this for you or have a
configuration to do so.