[MlMt] Old-school rules to move mails?

Robert Brenstein mailmate at learning-insights.eu
Fri Jan 20 20:29:39 EST 2017

On 20 Jan 2017, at 21:28, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> On 20 Jan 2017, at 15:20, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've tried to like the smart mailboxes, but somehow it doesn't click.
>>  I use very few folders.  But I'm on a couple of mailing lists where
>> I would like to move the messages into separate folders.
>>
>> It's best to do that with server side rules, but one mail server
>> doesn't provide server side rules, so I wanted to know if it's
>> possible from the client side, i.e. in MailMate?
>>
>> So: when a new mail comes in, and its List-ID header says xyzzy, then
>> move that mail into a folder xyzzy.
>>
> Yes, it works; I do it.  (I use a very complex mix of server-side
> rules, smart folders, and client-side rules.)
>
> Go to the inbox for the account or the unified inbox folder.
> Right-click and select "Edit Mailbox".  Click on the "Rules" tab, then
> on the "+" box in the lower left to add the rules.
>

>         --Steve Bellovin, https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

Instead of moving messages to a mailbox, you may consider creating a
separate mail account for your mailing list. I just did it for each of
my most busy mailing lists, so I can easily identify them and handle as
desired. I also moved like 5k messages that I got from the list to the
Inbox in the new account. It takes time but works. Most services
nowadays allow having multiple mail account at no extra cost. Before
switching to MM, I was moving the list posts into its own mailbox, but I
was using POP not IMAP then.

Robert