[MlMt] Trash or Deleted Messages?

Fri Jan 20 08:44:05 EST 2017

On 20 Jan 2017, at 5:43, Scott A. McIntyre wrote:

> What is the "right" way to configure MailMate (and, by association,
> Mail.app on OS X and iOS) so that deleting a message puts it into the
> right folder such that all of the various interacting software see
> that folder as the rubbish bin and treat it as such?
>
> Some of my configs seem to be using a Deleted Messages folder, others
> are using Trash; I'm hoping to go with what should be the "default"
> but I'm sensing that there's a fundamental difference between these
> systems...

With FastMail you should go with `Trash`. Some IMAP servers actually
tell the email client which one to use by default. This is true for
FastMail:

	S: * LIST (\HasNoChildren \Trash) "/" Trash

(The `\Trash` value is a flag which MailMate and other email clients can
and should use. It's described in [this
RFC](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6154).)

So, in MailMate you should select the Trash folder and make sure its
“Mailbox Type” is Trash. I'm quite sure you can do the same on iOS
although I cannot remember exactly how :) You'll have to google it.

After that you should move all messages in “Deleted Messages” to
Trash and then delete the “Deleted Messages” mailbox.

I hope this helps.