[MlMt] Inbox vs All Messages

Jan Erik Moström lists at mostrom.pp.se
Mon Jan 16 16:14:40 EST 2017

On 16 Jan 2017, at 16:56, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> I think you misread my post. I meant that it seems that Sent, Drafts,
> and Archive are included
> in All Messages and that is the difference to Inbox. The documentation
> implies that but does not state it explicitly.

I haven't checked everything in the manual but this is perhaps what you
are referring to

> The first mailbox in the mailbox outline, “All Messages”, contains
> all messages in your
> IMAP account(s) except those in the designated mailboxes for deleted
> messages or
> messages marked as junk.

My interpretation of this is that All Messages contains all messages in
the IMAP account(s) except deleted and junk (as it says in the manual).
In other words, if you only have one account (as an example) and have
created N number of mailboxes for that mail account then All Messages
will contain the messages stored in those mailboxes also. Inbox will
only contain the messages stored in the designated incoming mailbox.

> BTW, it is misleading to say that Inbox is for “new” messages.
> Better to say “incoming” messages - their age is irrelevant.

My fault ... I just keep new messages in my incoming mailbox ... so in
my case my statement is true but I realise that this is not true for all
others.

> Furthermore, they do not have to include only a Mailbox called Inbox.
> Inbox is really a type of standard mailbox. For example, one Outlook
> account I use has a mailbox called Clutter, which is also of type
> Inbox and is shown by MM together with Outlook’s Inbox (which is
> fine). The same is true for Trash, Junk, Sent, Archive, Drafts are —
> the actual names of those mailboxes can vary from server to server.

Yes, I know ... I was trying to keep things simple to make easier to
explain the mailboxes.

= jem