[MlMt] Disable copying messages to "Sent:"

Fri Jan 13 03:07:52 EST 2017

On 11 Jan 2017, at 11:35, Peter Stevens wrote:

> My provider automatically copies outgoing mail to my Sent box, so I
> don’t need MailMate to do it for me. How do I deactivate that?

It's not currently optional. Technically, MailMate would need to delete
the message it had just sent. I've been hesitant with respect to
implementing that because deleting messages automatically is inherently
dangerous. Bugs or unexpected server behavior could have serious
consequences. I also don't like the way, e.g., Gmail can edit a message
before/after sending it and adding it to the Sent Mail mailbox.

Also, in order for such a feature to really be useful then it
*shouldn't* delete the message, but instead move it to the same mailbox
as the server does. Then it should detect the new message on the server
and map it to the local copy without fetching the message. Otherwise, no
bandwidth is saved (which is the whole point of the non-standard SMTP
behavior). It's tricky to make this work well. And at least for Gmail
the local sent message and the server sent message would likely not be
100% identical -- which my inner purist dislikes.

That was a bit of a rant :)

It might be possible to do something with rules to automatically delete
sent messages, but it's tricky. At the very least, the Drafts mailbox
should be kept offline to avoid MailMate uploading and later deleting
the message. The latter could possibly trigger Gmail to also delete the
Gmail-saved sent message (because of the no-duplicates policy). Even
worse, due to race conditions this might not always happen and therefore
could be very hard to debug.

Thanks for trying out MailMate!