[MlMt] Automating Mailmate - best way?

Thu Jan 12 09:09:36 EST 2017

On 10 Jan 2017, at 9:34, Jan Erik Moström wrote:

> If I want to automate certain aspects of my mail handling what is the
> best way to go about this. Classes of things I would like to do are
>
> + Create a new emails
> + Call on a script with references to one or more selected emails
> (+ Trigger a script based an a filter)
>
> I looked at the applescript dictionary and it seem to be pretty basic
> (too basic to be useful??). I also looked at some of the bundles and
> it looks like any kind of language would work here.

Bundles are the way to go. Rules in mailboxes can also trigger bundle
commands.

> So, is there some language that is a "better choice" for some reason
> when interacting with Mailmate? Personally, it doesn't matter much but
> I would prefer not to use Cobol, Fortran or APL :D

No, you can use any language you like. Typical choices would be Ruby or
Python. There is very little documentation though. Starting points are
the existing bundles and this important hint: Each `uuid` (which exist
in most of the files) **must** be unique. You can put such a unique
value on the pasteboard using this command:

	uuidgen | tr -d "\n" | pbcopy

Custom bundles should be placed here:

	~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Bundles/