[MlMt] Extra lines in quoted text

John D. Muccigrosso muccigrosso at icloud.com
Thu Jan 5 21:07:01 EST 2017

On 5 Jan 2017, at 11:22, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2017, at 17:11, John D. Muccigrosso wrote:
>

> There are no blank lines in there. There’s a space in the
> “blank” line, sure, but MM2 is generating 3 paragraphs between the
> salutation and the body, not one with a space in it.
>
> It's not like there is a “correct” conversion to plain text.
> Everything that has to do with HTML to text conversion is heuristic in
> some way and HTML generated by Outlook certainly does not make it
> easier. The conversion from HTML to text is not actually done by
> MailMate itself. This is handled by an external script I didn't write
> myself. Note that MailMate does strip the weird occurrences of
> <o:p>   before doing this, because this often triggers issues.
> The first thing to examine though is whether or not the message
> contains a plain text body part. MailMate always prefers this before
> trying to convert HTML to plain text. This is under the assumption
> that the email client generating the HTML probably also knows best
> what the best representation using plain text would be (unfortunately
> this is not always true).
> If there's no such plain text part (there really should be, but I'm
> not surprised if there isn't) then the problem is that MailMate
> doesn't properly “clean up” the plain text after the conversion.
> You can forward an example to me using “Message ▸ Forward as
> Attachment” and then I might find time to look into that.
> I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Benny,

I’ll send them along. Both have plain text parts with the following
header:

The plain text has the correct spacing, though interestingly it
doesn’t have the non-breaking space in the html.

> (And sorry for not yet answering all the other emails to the list.)

Don’t be! You’re very good at replying, IMO.

PS I left the reply as MM2 made it. You’ll notice that the original
text from me is not double-quoted, even though it should be.

John