[MlMt] Extra lines in quoted text

Thu Jan 5 11:22:00 EST 2017

On 5 Jan 2017, at 17:11, John D. Muccigrosso wrote:

> There are no blank lines in there. There’s a space in the
> “blank” line, sure, but MM2 is generating 3 paragraphs between the
> salutation and the body, not one with a space in it.

It's not like there is a “correct” conversion to plain text.
Everything that has to do with HTML to text conversion is heuristic in
some way and HTML generated by Outlook certainly does not make it
easier. The conversion from HTML to text is not actually done by
MailMate itself. This is handled by an external script I didn't write
myself. Note that MailMate does strip the weird occurrences of `<o:p>`
before doing this, because this often triggers issues.

The first thing to examine though is whether or not the message contains
a plain text body part. MailMate always prefers this before trying to
convert HTML to plain text. This is under the assumption that the email
client generating the HTML probably also knows best what the best
representation using plain text would be (unfortunately this is not
always true).

If there's no such plain text part (there really should be, but I'm not
surprised if there isn't) then the problem is that MailMate doesn't
properly “clean up” the plain text after the conversion. You can
forward an example to me using “Message ▸ Forward as Attachment”
and then I might find time to look into that.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

(And sorry for not yet answering all the other emails to the list.)