[MlMt] Moving messages to local storage

Mon Jan 2 16:48:07 EST 2017

On 1 Jan 2017, at 0:34, Bill Cole wrote:

> Some people set up a local IMAP server just for MM to use or configure
> a totally bogus account into which messages can be moved, where they
> will sit forever waiting to be synched to a server that doesn't exist.

Just to be clear about the latter solution: I don't recommend it,
because it fails in a subtle way. MailMate is very careful when moving
messages between IMAP servers. A message is not deleted from the source
IMAP mailbox until *after* it has been uploaded to the destination IMAP
mailbox. A bogus offline account would never allow uploading messages
and therefore the messages are never deleted from the source account.
(This is not easily seen in MailMate, because it's just a pending
synchronization event which is assumed to be a temporary state.)