[MlMt] IMAP not working

Sat Feb 25 10:48:00 EST 2017

On 24 Feb 2017, at 19:12, Aaron Falk wrote:

> I access IETF mailing lists via IMAP and it stopped working for me
> around the time of the last software update.  I’ve reset and
> verified my password and tried anonymous access as well with no joy.
> Access instructions are
> [here](https://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/tools/trac/wiki/Imap).  Is
> anyone else seeing similar problems? I’m attaching the debug output
> for both authenticated and anonymous access.  Any hints for debugging?

Well, the logs are a good starting point.

> Using authenticated login:
>
>> 18:01:47 Retrieving password (keychain or user request)
>> 18:01:50 C: A3 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN ••••••••••
>> 18:01:50 S: A3 NO AUTHENTICATION has failed
>> 18:01:50 Error: Server response: “A3 NO AUTHENTICATION has
>> failed”. Command attempted: “A3 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN
>> ••••••••••”.
>> 18:01:50 Retrieving password (keychain or user request)
>> 18:01:51 Error: Failed to retrieve password for account.

You should have gotten a request for a new password here. Maybe that
didn't happen for some reason or it was just the output of the last
attempt for which you cancelled the requester...

> Using anonymous access:
>
>> 18:02:34 Reusing latest used password
>> 18:02:34 C: A46 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN ••••••••••
>> 18:02:34 S: A46 NO AUTHENTICATION has failed

This is busy-looping for some reason. I'll try to reproduce that. That's
definitely not supposed to happen.

I'm not sure anything changed in MailMate though. I guess that could
easily be determined by trying an older release:
http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/

I tried connecting to the account myself and it seems there is a problem
with `AUTHENTICATE PLAIN`. There's a debug variable with allows MailMate
to fall back to `LOGIN` when this happens. This seems to make it work
for me:

~~~
15:42:10 C: C0 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN ••••••••••
15:42:10 S: C0 NO AUTHENTICATION has failed
15:42:10 C: C1 LOGIN ••••••••••
15:42:10 S: C1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS LITERAL+ UNSELECT
NAMESPACE SORT BINARY MULTIAPPEND THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
THREAD=REFERENCES ESEARCH LIST-EXTENDED IDLE URLAUTH CATENATE CONDSTORE
QRESYNC ENABLE STARTTLS ACL RIGHTS=kxet QUOTA COMPRESS=DEFLATE SASL-IR
WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH SEARCHRES SPECIAL-USE MOVE] LOGIN Completed
~~~

It's enabled like this (don't worry about it mentioning Exchange):

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmExchangeAuthPlainWorkaround -bool
YES

(I wonder if this is a server issue or if MailMate somehow does
something unexpected which is only a problem with very few servers.)