[MlMt] Mail Tracking

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Fri Feb 10 10:00:09 EST 2017

On 2017-02-09 16:19:35 (+0100), Pedro Lobo <pedro at plobo.net> wrote:
> I tend to mess around with a few mail clients to see what’s new and
> around (and then come back to MM). One thing that I found in the
> latest version of PostBox that I would love too see in MM (if
> possible) is the inclusion of their [Anti-tracking
> feature](https://www.postbox-inc.com/features).
>
> In theory, MM could display the same dialog it does now, not showing
> images unless we say it’s ok, but also indicate if said email has
> tracking pixel in

Arguably, *all* remote images are tracking pixels, regardless of how
many pixels they contain.  Even without individualising the image URLs,
you can more or less strongly correlate image loads to email recipients
based on other qualifiers (User-Agent, time of day,...).

That said, I wouldn't object if MailMate could make an educated guess
about images being "tracking pixels" in the stricter sense.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer