[MlMt] new subfolders -- MailMate or Dovecot problem?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Dec 17 18:48:59 EST 2017

On 16 Dec 2017, at 15:41 (-0500), Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> To try to shrink a too-large folder, I created 15 subfolders.  For 11
> of them, though, the Dovecot IMAP server did not get the name that the
> creating instance of MailMate has; instead, I see subfolders with
> names like .foo.Untitled, .foo.Untitled-1, etc. This is true on the
> Dovecot server and hence on other mail servers.

I have seen this as well. For me it has usually resulted in MM showing
both the "Untitled" name and the intended name in the mailbox list, with
one or the other bearing a "(failed)" label.

> So: I have two questions. First, why did Dovecot not get the proper
> names from MailMate?

I am not certain of the exact mis-ordering of events but it has
something to do with MM decomposing the creation, subscription, and
name-setting of a new mailbox into unrelated events that get done in
parallel rather than a process that has to be held together as a single
ordered sequence.

> Second: what's the best thing to do to solve the problem? Rename them
> on an affected MailMate machine?

First, use the "Mailbox->Edit IMAP Account..." command to edit your IMAP
subscriptions. Unsubscribe from any mailboxes in the "failed" state and
subscribe to any of the new mailboxes that you are not subscribed to.
Once you've made your subscription list coherent with the existing
mailbox list, you can change the names as needed.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole