[MlMt] new subfolders -- MailMate or Dovecot problem?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Dec 16 15:41:13 EST 2017

To try to shrink a too-large folder, I created 15 subfolders.  For 11 of
them, though, the Dovecot IMAP server did not get the name that the
creating instance of MailMate has; instead, I see subfolders with names
like .foo.Untitled, .foo.Untitled-1, etc. This is true on the Dovecot
server and hence on other mail servers.

So: I have two questions. First, why did Dovecot not get the proper
names from MailMate? Second: what's the best thing to do to solve the
problem? Rename them on an affected MailMate machine?