[MlMt] High Sierra, APFS, Time Machine, and MailMate...

Sat Dec 16 06:42:13 EST 2017

On 11 Dec 2017, at 16:43, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2017, at 9:42, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> I was going to suggest leaving out the index (the `Database.noindex`
>> folder) since that doesn't behave well with Time Machine. I don't
>> think the other files should cause any problems and it's a lot more
>> important to have a backup of your settings files and the `Messages`
>> folder. You can also leave out the `Attachments` folder since it's
>> just a cache.
>>
> As I said, Database.noindex is already on the exclusion list. I know
> that that means MailMate has to rebuild the index if I ever restore
> the disk. Does it download all of the messages again, or does it just
> use IMAP queries to rebuild the indices from the stored messages? In
> other words, what do I lose if I don't back up Messages?

There's no advantage in having the `Messages` folder *when rebuilding*
if you don't have `Database.noindex`. The advantage of the `Messages`
folder is that you have a separate backup of your IMAP emails. This is
important if something goes wrong at the server (or in MailMate) which
deletes a bunch of emails. This would quickly be synchronized (either
way) and you would only have your backup of emails left.