[MlMt] Can't reply without HTML/Markdown spewage???

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Aug 14 10:44:48 EDT 2017

I'm pretty sure this is new-ish behavior, since I know it has not always
been this way, although I guess it might be something I changed at some
point. I am running r6090 on El Capitan.

When I reply to a message that some non-ignorable fool (e.g.
ZipRecruiter) has sent as HTML-only (i.e. 'Content-Type: text/html;
charset="UTF-8"' at the top level...) I get a composer window where the
quoted message has apparently been translated into Markdown.

This is NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, what I want. I want (and
am pretty sure I got from MM at some point in the past...) is the body
text resulting from the rendering of the original HTML, as quoted plain
text. For example, the following (without line breaks and indenting) is
the first paragraph from a message I got this morning, with 'found a
job' and '"1-Click Apply"' being clickable links to the ludicrous result
of their new experimental algorithm:

	Hi William,

	On behalf of the team at ZipRecruiter - welcome! We're experimenting
with a
	new matching algorithm and the search engine found a job that might fit
what
	you're looking for. Check out the description and hit "1-Click Apply"
if you
	like what you see.

IMHO, this is what should show up in my reply:

> Hi William,
>
> On behalf of the team at ZipRecruiter - welcome! We're experimenting
> with a new matching algorithm and the search engine found a job that
> might fit what you're looking for. Check out the description and hit
> "1-Click Apply" if you like what you see.

But instead I get this (from which I've elided insanely long URL
query-strings):

> Hi William,
>
> On behalf of the team at ZipRecruiter - welcome! We're experimenting
> with a new matching algorithm and the search engine [found a
> job](<https://u2321971.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?{1823 random-ish
> characters}>) that might fit what you're looking for. Check out the
> description and hit ["1-Click
> Apply"](<https://u2321971.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?{1794 random-ish
> characters}>) if you like what you see.

This is ridiculously unreadable, and does not even reflect the original
HTML, as the [text](<url>) structure is apparently a Markdown thing.

I don't want or need the original URLs in any reply. I don't want or
need Markdown. I absolutely do not need or want a blob of "quoted" text
which is neither the text I saw in the original nor the HTML of the
original. I may be misremembering but I believe that MM used to do what
I want it to do. How can I get that back?