[MlMt] Unattended mode?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Aug 7 11:12:59 EDT 2017

On 7 Aug 2017, at 9:54, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 1 Aug 2017, at 17:41, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>
>> I run SpamSieve and many sorting rules on my office iMac.  However, I
>> travel a lot, which means that when MailMate displays and blocks
>> while waiting for a response, all of that stops working for an
>> extended period.  Getting rid of modal dialog boxes entirely would
>> certainly help, but sometimes an important account is affected.
>
> Yes, (most of) the modal dialog boxes are embarrassing for me, but it
> would still be a problem for you if the problems are related to
> accounts that you need (since the alternative is to temporarily take
> an account off line and wait for user feedback in a non-modal dialog).

Yes, and some are serious, e.g., bad certificate problems, though in
cases where there's a "Retry" button an increasing backoff might help.
(Aside: if the dialog box has been pending for too long, often the
server will have disconnected, so I have to do a "Cancel" or something
else that will let me take the account offline and back online.)

>> Is there any way to see and respond to dialog boxes from a remote
>> command line?
>
> I *think* it would be possible using AppleScript. Maybe even by simply
> sending a “Return” to the front-most window (although you might
> want to “hit” a “Cancel” button depending on the problem).

I'll have to experiment with that. Is there any way, in AppleScript, to
know which dialog box is pending?