[MlMt] Rules and when are they applied

Tue Apr 18 04:51:00 EDT 2017

On 17 Apr 2017, at 23:26, Pedro Lobo wrote:

> From my testing, this isn't working. If I add the rule to the global
> inbox and trigger apply rules, nothing happens, but if I select the
> email (or even all emails in inbox) and press apply rules, it works.

Manually applying the rules of the currently selected mailbox requires
selecting the emails. This is expected behavior. (Ideally, there should
be other variants of the Apply-menu item, but that's not implemented
yet.)

> 1. Where is the ideal place to add a rule like this? global Inbox or
> each account's inbox

You might want to add rules to the “smallest” mailbox that you know
includes the messages, but the global Inbox also works. You might not
want to add rules to a lot of different mailboxes if you can avoid it
since there is currently no easy way to see which mailboxes have rules
(other than searching directly in the `Mailboxes.plist` files).

> 2. Is it necessary that the message be selected for rules to be
> applied to it

Only when doing it manually.

> 3. If not, how often are rules run

Rules are applied when a message is “added” to a mailbox. In
particular, when a message arrives in your Inbox. If a message is then
moved to another mailbox then the rules of this mailbox are applied.

If you think something is not working as intended then write me off list
and we'll debug.