[MlMt] Bug in preserving format=flowed text from external editors?

Tue Apr 18 04:19:51 EDT 2017

On 11 Apr 2017, at 13:36, Philip Paeps wrote:

> MailMate seems to be better at preserving trailing whitespace in
> replies than in new messages, if that helps.

I think this is because MailMate only strips “extraneous” whitespace
from non-quoted text.

> For instance: I typed this message in Vim but the only way to get the
> flowed format was to remove hard line breaks in MailMate.
>
> Is there a way to configure MailMate not to strip trailing whitespace
> from buffers messages edited externally?  Or perhaps to debug its
> behaviour when it gets the rewrapping wrong?

I haven't changed anything related to `format=flowed` and external
editors. The problem is that MailMate does not expect you to return
`format=flowed` text. MailMate only considers `format=flowed` to be a
technique used to “encode” text before sending. And received
`format=flowed` text is “decoded” before being used in the text
editor (both built-in and external). In other words, you should never
hard-wrap the lines of a paragraph -- or if you do then your text editor
must unwrap them before saving.

You might have noticed that MailMate seems to use `format=flowed` for
quoted text in its internal editor, but this is a *hack* in order to be
able to prefix `>` visually. If you resize the window then these lines
are actually reflowed. (Maybe some day I'll find a better way to do
that.) It looks particularly bad if using a proportional font when
editing, but I do recommend fixed width fonts in the Composer (for
readability while editing). (The editor font is not used for outgoing
emails.)