[MlMt] The lousy Counters UI (was Re: sound notifications in Sierra)

Fri Sep 23 08:20:11 EDT 2016

On 22 Sep 2016, at 21:31, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 22 Sep 2016, at 11:27, Ted Byfield wrote:
>
>> (In passing, that counter UI might be for confusing for users who are
>> new and/or less willing/able to put the time in -- but I digress.)
>
> Amen. This has been noted about a dozen times on this list in the
> past. I think Benny has agreed, but it really isn't obvious what else
> to do without proliferating Preference panes.

My (old) long term intention is to remove the preferences pane and move
this to a General pane in the mailbox editor. But if I do that then I
should probably also introduce a global “mute” option in general
preferences windows. It comes up quite often that some users dislike all
sounds.

> A slight improvement would be to have the MM icon in the middle of the
> 4 radio buttons, so at least there's a stronger visual clue as to
> their function.

I have done that, but I think it'll still be interpreted as the
placement of 1 counter instead of the configuration of 4 counters.