[MlMt] junk mail wagaries

Robert Brenstein rjb at uni-potsdam.de
Fri Sep 16 19:57:56 EDT 2016

I just realized that moving to junk mailbox and marking as junk are 2
different and independent things. Does anybody knows what triggers
each? I expected mail moved to the junk mailbox automatically tagged
as junk and mail tagged as junk automatically moved to the junk
mailbox. Well, I should add that indeed sometimes moving a message to
the junk mailbox marks it as junk as well.

There is also usability issue. I can put messages into the junk
mailbox using the button on the toolbar, the right-click popup on the
message, or an item in the message menu. However, it seems that the
only way to mark message as junk is to actually open it and click
messages that are already in the junk mailbox (when I click move to
junk while having the message open, the yellow bar does not appear
until I close the message and open it again).

Confusing and mysterious...

The reason for my struggle is that I am trying to set up smart
mailboxes that exclude junk mail. I can easily set up a condition to
exclude mail flagged as $Junkk but I do not see a way to say: show
all mail in this mailbox excluding mailbox Junk.

Robert