[MlMt] Google login issues?

Scott A. McIntyre mailmate at howyagoin.net
Fri Sep 2 02:53:30 EDT 2016

Hi,

On 2 September 2016, at 1646, Richard Rettke wrote:

> On 30 Aug 2016, at 21:02, Kee Hinckley kee at hinckley.com  wrote:
>
>> I've had MailMate ask for my password in four of my Google Apps
>> accounts (three of them two-factor) a total of at least 8 times
>> today. Has anyone else had any issues?
>
> I've been watching this thread since it started and feeling fortunate
> that I have not had any issues with 10 gmail accounts I have.
>
> So I'm sitting in front of my Mac when all of a sudden at 0127 i
> received emails and text messages from google on 5 of the accounts.
> The messages read as follows;
>
> _Hi Richard,_
>
> _Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your Google
> Account xxxxxxxxxx at gmail.com, using an application such as an email
> client or mobile device._

[ snip ]

I also have a number of Gmail accounts configured for MailMate, and
until this morning, no problem at all.

Then, rather swiftly, all of my accounts started having the same issue
as previously discussed by others.

This leads me to believe that either Google had an "issue" with their
OAuth token handling, or, they have been deploying something in
different regions over the course of the last few days.

One thing that triggered the same issue as you, Richard, was deployment
of IPv6 support.  Depending on $factors, sometimes my systems would be
able to get an IPv6 connection to Gmail, other times it would only be
IPv4 - but some IPv6 changes at my provider level also meant that every
few hours I'd be getting a new /56 delegation (annoying) which resulted
in lots of those sorts of messages.

Not sure if that's in any way related to what's been going on with
MailMate and Gmail the last few days -- my sense is that it's something
at the Google end.

After upgrading to the latest beta, and re-authenticating all of my
accounts, the prompts have gone away.

Scott