[MlMt] really delete

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Oct 27 13:10:57 EDT 2016

On 27 Oct 2016, at 11:53, Gary Hull wrote:

> Randy,
>
> By putting individual's email addresses in the To slot, you're causing
> mailing list conversations to show up in the Inbox even if the mailing
> list is redirected to the Mailing List mailbox.

It's worse than that. The list seems to be configured to add its own
Reply-To header directing replies to the list and apparently has
MailMan's "Avoid duplicate copies of messages" feature set on by
default. The result is that I never received the message Randy sent via
the list. Adding to that, because I use a distinct address for every
discussion list I'm on, I filter everything sent to one of those
addresses which is NOT via the list into a slopbucket mailbox which is
almost all spam to the address I use on the SpamAssassin list (ah, the
irony...) So if one sends a message to me "offlist" I'm unlikely to see
it soon and if it is CC'd to the list, I never get the copy via the
list.

> Please only put MailMate Users in the To slot. Bill, et al., will
> still see it. If you need to put an individual's email there, hide it
> in BCC.

Or just honor the Reply-To and don't generate duplicates.

But, moving on to the point of the thread...

> On 27 Oct 2016, at 23:43, Randy Bush wrote:
>
>> ok, i decided to test.
>>
>>   o i am in SOURCES
>>
>>   o i subscribed to Deleted Messages on the server
>>
>>   o i delete a message from my inbox with the DEL key
>>
>>   o i look in Deleted Messages; there are eight messages there but
>> not
>>     the one i just deleted

MM has for some reason decided that Some Other Mailbox is your logical
"Deleted Messages" mailbox, not the one actually named Deleted Messages.

>>   o the right click menu on Delete Messages does not offer to empty
>> the
>>     mailbox
>>
>>   o i look manually (ls) on the server and the eight messages are in
>>     that mbox file, but not the one i just deleted from my inbox

Because the mailbox named "Deleted Messages" isn't the IMAP mailbox that
MM thinks is operationally the account's trashcan. It just happens to
have a matching but entirely non-magical name. My guess is that
*something* is using that mailbox (or did at one point) but that
unsubscribing MM from it caused MM to create a new mailbox to play that
role.

>>   o use my other imap client and it sees that deleted message still
>> in
>>     the inbox

That's wrong. That client is out of sync with the server OR is ignoring
the \Deleted flag.

>>   o i go back to mailmate but to Deleted Messages in MAILBOXES, and
>> that
>>     message and a hundred others are there

You can determine which mailbox *THAT* is: with a message there,
right-click on the column header and select Source Mailbox.

My bet is that it's named Trash.

>>   o right click on Deleted Messages in MAILBOXES does offer an empty
>>     mailbox option

Of course it does: that's the IMAP source mailbox MM thinks is the
logical Deleted Messages mailbox.

>>   o i take the empty mailbox option and go back to INBOX in SOURCES.
>>     the nine messages are there and colored red.  in a minute or so
>> they
>>     go away

That's positively weird. How did they get back THERE??? The red text
means that there's a pending operation involving those messages. It's a
bit disconcerting that you see them there AND that it takes more than a
few seconds for them to go away.

>>   o my other imap client can no longer see that deletd message
>>
>> so, Deleted Messages in MAILBOXES does not have the same semantics as
>> the one in SOURCES

I'm pretty sure this is primarily a problem of mistaken identity. It is
not clear to me why messages are re-appearing in INBOX, but I bet it
will be fixed by finding what mailbox you're looking at as
Mailboxes->Deleted Messages->[accountname] by right-clicking on the
Sources->[accountname]->Deleted Messages mailbox and selecting Mailbox
Type->Deleted Messages.