[MlMt] Viewing text vs HTML part of message

Charlie Garrison charlie-lists at garrison.com.au
Sun Oct 23 17:54:18 EDT 2016

Good morning,

On 24 Oct 2016, at 8:21, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 23 Oct 2016, at 16:53, Charlie Garrison wrote:
>> On 22 Oct 2016, at 2:45, Bill Cole wrote:
>>
>>> This seems like an excessively complex alternative to the "Prefer
>>> plain text" checkbox in the Preferences->Viewer pane...
>> But doesn’t that apply to all mailboxes?
>
> Yes. Which is how the FSM intended all email to be and to be read:
> plain text in the One True Encoding, US-ASCII. :)

I don’t need to be convinced. I didn’t even know what html email
looked like until a few months ago. ;-)

I have found it better to now accept html email rather than keep telling
clients I missed their “inline comments in red” and so “didn’t
see their request”. IOW, there is a subset of messages which is large
enough that I want to keep default to show html. (I’ll forget to go
hunting for possible comments with html highlighting). But there are
some messages (like the mailing list) which are downright offensive as
html.

I agree that email should be plain-text, but I also believe that war is
lost and the pragmatic approach is to switch to a client like MailMate.
I still feel like I’ve got a plain-text MUA, but with modern
concessions.

I’m still going to wait to hear if Benny has any clever suggestions
for per-mailbox view prefs.

Thanks,
Charlie

--