[MlMt] Database.noindex

Tue Oct 11 10:31:57 EDT 2016

On 8 Oct 2016, at 17:44, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> I exclude Database.noindex from my Time Machine dumps or backups take
> far too long.  When I had to restore one of my computers from backup,
> the lack of that directory meant that it had to refetch lots of mail.
> OK, fine -- but it seemed to lose track of the files that were there;
> as a result, Library/Application Support/MailMate was more than twice
> as large as on the machine next to it.  That isn't a trivial problem
> for me; I'm taking about 45 GB versus 112 GB...  (Right now, I'm
> deleting the MailMate directory; I'll copy over the 45 GB one when
> that's done.)

It is correct that MailMate fails to detect this type of corrupt
database. If you don't backup `Database.noindex` (which I actually agree
is a good idea) then you might also want to leave out
`Messages(.noindex)` since that's the other part of the database. The
IMAP server is kind of the backup, but I can see why you might want a
local backup too.

I guess MailMate should try to automatically detect this kind of state.
I'll give that some thought since I would like to recommend leaving out
`Database.noindex` from backups. Hmm, maybe even do that by default. A
general problem is that Time Machine will some times back up files in an
order which leaves the backed up database in a corrupted state.