[MlMt] Removing smart mailbox from Mailboxes tree

Richard Rettke pc8xtebtkw at snkmail.com
Thu Oct 6 16:35:15 EDT 2016

wrote:

>> Is there a way to get rid of the Archived, Deleted Messages and Junk
>> smart mailboxes
>> from the mailboxes tree…I don’t need them, visual clutter…
>
> The short answer is no, but it has been on my todo for a long time.
> I'd like a feature which allows the user to define custom standard
> mailboxes, but this would naturally also allow one to delete them (and
> this would then also allow deleting the default ones).
>
> The long answer is yes, but it's tricky. The default set of standard
> mailboxes can be found here:
>
> MailMate.app/Contents/Resources/standardMailboxes.plist
>
> This can be edited, but that's bad because it's overwritten when
> MailMate is updated. Instead, it can be copied to this location:
>
> ~/Library/Application
> Support/MailMate/Resources/standardMailboxes.plist
>
> This takes precedence over the default file. You can edit it and
> remove the mailboxes you don't need, BUT:
>
> When you do this then it'll mess up the ordering of your smart
> mailboxes. This only happens when you remove a mailbox.
> If I update the default standardMailboxes.plist then you won't see
> those changes.
> I'm not 100% sure there won't be side-effects of MailMate not being
> able to, e.g., find the Junk mailbox. (But I would be willing to look
> into such issues.)
>
> I do realize that the long answer also sounds a bit like “no” :-)

Hi Benny,

Thinking out loud here.

Rather than deleting the mailboxes, since the issue is visual clutter,
wouldn't Hiding them  suffice. Then Mailmate would still have access.

I'm thinking an addition to the right-click dropdown on every mailbox,
"HIDE" this mailbox.

Then an addition to preferences or perhaps some other menu that simple
lists ALL mailboxes and indicates whether it's Hidden or Shown, and a
single click to change from one to the other. Kinda like the way Gmail
lets you select whether an IMAP label is hidden or shown.

Then you may just need code in the display logic to honor the
Hidden/Shown flag.

__*Richard Rettke*__
*Laus Deo*
*Non sibi sed patriae*