[MlMt] Removing smart mailbox from Mailboxes tree

Thu Oct 6 15:18:35 EDT 2016

On 6 Oct 2016, at 18:22, yet at gmx.de wrote:

> Is there a way to get rid of the Archived, Deleted Messages and Junk
> smart mailboxes
> from the mailboxes tree…I don’t need them, visual clutter…

The short answer is no, but it has been on my todo for a long time. I'd
like a feature which allows the user to define custom standard
mailboxes, but this would naturally also allow one to delete them (and
this would then also allow deleting the default ones).

The long answer is yes, but it's tricky. The default set of standard
mailboxes can be found here:

	MailMate.app/Contents/Resources/standardMailboxes.plist

This can be edited, but that's bad because it's overwritten when
MailMate is updated. Instead, it can be copied to this location:

	~/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/Resources/standardMailboxes.plist

This takes precedence over the default file. You can edit it and remove
the mailboxes you don't need, BUT:

1. When you do this then it'll mess up the ordering of your smart
mailboxes. This only happens when you remove a mailbox.
2. If I update the default `standardMailboxes.plist` then you won't see
those changes.
3. I'm not 100% sure there won't be side-effects of MailMate not being
able to, e.g., find the Junk mailbox. (But I would be willing to look
into such issues.)

I do realize that the long answer also sounds a bit like “no” :-)